Saturday, April 6, 2013

Story Book Elf – Instant Knowledge

Green elf wearing red hat bust image
It struck me funny that after penning today's poem involving an elf I turned on the television and Lord of the Rings was showing... If you know it... and most people do... I think... you know it is littered with elves...

At any rate, today is number 6 of my 30-day journey to pen poetic verses during April poetry month. My intent is to write at least one poem every day and thus far I am ahead of the game since I penned two pieces yesterday... Yay!! Case you did not know, one of yesterday's offerings, Finger Pricking Cactus, was posted in this blog and the other, Heartache Mountain, posted at another one of my sites.

All right... Without further ado... Here is today's poem that happens to involve an elf... and what human being does not care for elves?


Story Book Elf – Instant Knowledge 

Green elf wearing red hat behind book of instant knowledge
Mom told me to read a book

Stop playing video games

I went down to the kids’ book nook

Checked out the author’s names

Familiar writer struck my eye

I grabbed book from the shelf

Barely flipped the cover when

Out jumped a story elf

He told me a secret of how

Children in his fair land

Improved their reading skills

While reading books without command

Did you know Mom sent me asked I

He said he read it in my eye

How’s that said I… I’m not ‘gon cry

On children here… I often spy

He claimed then said stroll in the sand

What sand asked I but that was when

The book pulled me in like a pin

Or needle sewing a clean stitch

Piercing pages one through ten

Hurtling chapters to the end

Then easy as the tale began

Out the book back I slid again

The story fresh inside my brain

I learned the whole thing with no pain!
Written by R. Renée Bembry
April 6, 2013

I hope you enjoyed this piece about the importance of learning and appreciated the star child's fortune of obtaining instant knowledge.

As always, feel free to leave a poem of your own, especially one about elves or learning or both. Plus, don't forget you can help a kid leave a poem for me as well as for others to read in the comments section below...

Thanks for visiting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your funny poem here...