Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Jenny Envy Wants My Penny!

Copper Lincoln Penny with year 2028 date
Nine days into my 30-day poetry writing challenge in recognition of this April's National poetry-month celebration and things are going very well. With eleven poems completed, I am actually two poems ahead of the game! YAY!!

I finally got around to processing the video of myself constructing this poem. Creating a video of myself in action is a task I had been contemplating for quite some time. I am happy to have finally completed that task. The video is posted following the poem.

All right now... Enjoy this poetry offering about finding a penny…


Jenny Envy Wants My Penny!

Today I saw a penny sparkling pretty on the walkway.


Stopping to pick it up my fingers grabbed it happy and gay.

Shining smoothly in my hand

Penny looked unused and brand

New that is… So clean… So bright…

Like it had been minted last night

Examining the date

I read, two thousand twenty-eight.



I showed the coin to Jenny

Who stated it might be hers.

Said, “If it fell out of her purse

Then I should promptly reimburse.”

Thought I, ‘Oh geez! What could be worse?

Jenny’s quick claim sounded quite terse.

She wanted my smooth penny.

Her mind was filled with envy.’


Coin still snug in my clenched fist

Quickly I told her, “No!"

Appalled with my decision

She then claimed she had to go.

But when you think about it

How could Jen’s view be so?

Her purse had a gold locking clasp

The clasp had still been closed.



Well, I unclenched my fist

In time not to have missed

Penny accruing much more than

Twenty times my wrist.

This made Pen weigh in heavier

Than when I picked it up;

Still it felt warm in my pink palm

Still warmed my fingers too,

Excitement had me dancing

Hopping like a kangaroo.

Written by R. Renée Bembry
April 9, 2013




I hope you enjoyed this piece about finding a penny and as always, you can leave a poem of your own, especially one about any denomination of money, in the comments section of this page.

As promised, a video showing the construction of Jenny the Envy poem is posted above. Watch, enjoy, share and don't forget you can help a kid leave a poem for me and others to read in the comments section below...


As always, thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your funny poem here...