Friday, April 26, 2013

So, It’s Your Birthday…



Cake with lit up Happy Birthday candles
Today is number 26 of my 30-day quest to pen a poem a day in recognition of April poetry month for 2013. With only four days to go, I am well on my way to completing my goal!

Today’s poem draws on a girl’s 13th birthday. I penned it to print on a birthday card for a special girl in my family.

Thus, in honor of this special girl, I give you the poem...


So, It’s Your Birthday…

So, it’s your birthday and you’re turning thirteen

Mimicking a princess growing into a queen

Trading pretend play with dolls

For hanging out at shopping malls

Shaking a tail at dancing halls

Still you like to chew gumballs



Yes, it’s your birthday and you’re no longer a tween

Even more than ever, you may strive to look pristine

Everyday you love to preen

Dolling up your hair with sheen

Just in case you should be seen

Starring in pictures on big screens


Although it’s your birthday and you’ve just become a teen

Knowing from your mother’s arms, you’ll soon begin to wean

There’s no reason to be scared

‘Cause you’ve got a great big dad

Always ready and prepared

To ward off eager lads

Written by R. Renée Bembry
© April 26, 2013

Hope you enjoyed this poem about a girl’s thirteenth birthday. You can leave a poem of your own, especially one about birthdays, in the comments section below; and don't forget you can help a kid leave a poem for me and others to read in the comments section as well...

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your funny poem here...