Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fools' Day Kids' Poem


April Fools' Day Icon
As the saying goes... April showers bring May flowers... but this month actually brings much more than that. Starting out with April Fools' Day and Poetry Month on the very first day brings opportunity for ample fun, foolishness, and sets the stage for 30 days of continued poetic creativity.

In doing my part to celebrate April 2013, I will attempt to post a poem a day in this blog. Writing a poem every single day for a predetermined period is a task I have been considering for quite a while; and now it is time for me to take the bull by the horns...

Therefore, here goes...

The poem I decided to start with is a children's April Fools' Day contribution that allows me to hone in on the importance of April's first day.

April Fool’s Day Classroom Trick

Zipped to class late
On April Fools Day
And bee-lined for my seat when
Jim Bob who sits across from me said
Sally had a secret

Seated behind Sally
I asked
If she would give me details
She said as long as I didn’t tell
A soul of its essentials

Sally commenced to pen a note
Pencil a pic as well
On line paper as
Teacher taught
Then tossed it near my chair
I snatched it quick
‘Fore teacher looked
As if it were a dare
I felt like Wily big bad wolf
With piglets in my lair

Quickly my eyes
Digest memo
Intrigued with contents and photo
Then teacher steps up to my desk
Says, “Share your
Prose with all the rest,
Of class that is,
We’d like to know
What pleasures you
More than my board…”

My teeth chatter
Reading aloud
How teacher’s pet
Gets tripped up
On April Fool’s Day
And how the teacher
Joins classmates for fool’s fun

I realize the teacher’s pet
In the note must be myself
For cleaning blackboards
Passing things and
Dumping trash like a good elf

Studying the picture
Sally made
I see my name across the head
Of a character who looked like me
With stick out ears and dimpled chin

Embarrassed eyes leave the note as
My classmates in unison
Shout “HA! HA! THOMAS!
APRIL FOOL!
We tricked you cause you were late to school!
Better you the Fool’s Day fool than us!
Next time go catch an earlier bus!
Written by R. Renée Bembry
April 1, 2013

You can leave a poem of your own or help a kid leave one for others to read in the comments section below... Also, feel free to comment on what you think of this one.... and...

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your funny poem here...